Monday, October 20, 2008

Bangkok - Ayuthaya - Sukhothai -Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai

I never thought I was going to get my flight to Bangkok as the Punjab Mail Express train pulled in an hour and a half behind schedule into New Delhi train station. Also I was in no mood to start fighting with taxi drivers who were telling me that there was no pre-paid taxis when I knew damn well that there were. As time was of the essence I jumped in an auto-rickshaw to the airport. A mad dash for 40 minutes on a motorway sometimes with 5 lanes flanked on both sides by gigantic lorries. We made it, I went straight to immigration, through security and was the last person to make it onto the plane. My departing image was of a dead cow lying outside a busy shopping street covered in flies with the onset of bloating! I'm certainly no celebrity but I thought on numerous occassions: I'm not a celebrity but get me out of here and then to top it all I nearly miss my flight.The moment I arrived in Bangkok was like walking into your favourite dream but it being reality. The airport was spotless, people were extremely helpful and everything operated in a smooth manner. The Thai people are an absolute delight: really cute, friendly respectful, calm and love to help you out when you are looking the slightest bit perplexed. Khawp khun kha.I am quite fixated by mens of transport currently and if I discover a means that I have not tried before then I feel it required some bahts thrown at it. I have done baking local trains with no glass for natural air conditioning. I also took an Express train from Ayuthaya to Phitsanulok. We were speeding along happily and suddenly CRUNCH aaaahhhhhhhh (ladies scream in Thai). We had hit a car on a level crossing. The lady lived to tell the tale, the car had scrap written all over it. Note to self: do not sit in the first carriage in future too dramatic if you hit something. I saw elephants in Ayuthaya and was very tempted for a trunk lift up but I cannot be frivolous when the means of transport is for pleasure and not for getting me from A-B. I was also tempted to get a moped taxi but didn't think it appropriate to ride side saddle and hang on to the driver in a tight fashion! Iain would be in Hilux heaven here as there are some means beasts out there. And once again I've hired a bicycle to see ruined wats (temples). The brand Crocodile wouldn't win any design awards but it did take 10 Frenchies and moi for many kilometres in Sukhothai old City.I am having a great time in Thailand but feel a bit wated out. Ayuthaya and Sukhothai both former capitals have plenty of wats on offer and I have done night viewings, river cruise viewings and cycle viewings. Time to stop now.I've finally been meeting lots of lovely travelers. Kathryn and Michael from Mainz in Germany (Kathryn went to university in Bangor) and 10 Frenchies on tour for 2 weeks (they mostly met at university in Angers and some lived in the same street as me and Charlotte's parents live in Cosqueville) and all of my chums shared the same enjoyment of a Chang or two just like me.This year is all about getting out of my comfort zone and what better way to start than to sign my first ever karaoke. We had a great night in Chopper bar in Sukhothai doing as in Rome. I also had my hair trimmed by a lovely Thai lady who didn't speak English and she did a great job for a grand sum of 1.60 GBP.My week finished off with 3 different nights in towns starting with Chiang: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Chaing Kong. Each involved a bus and more bum numbing hours sat on my backside. Leaving Sukhothai was quite a palava. I had said goodbye to the Frenchies and decided to head to the bus station at around middnight to get the 1:00am bus. Well upon enquiring at a local closing restaurant where the taxis were I soon heard "no taxi" and before I knew it the sweetest girl ever took me and my 18 kilos of luggage on the back of a moped to the bus station 3 kms away. Then I was just dozing off when I was awoken by CLUNK. A moped was lying on top of a member of the local constabulary. Well when two men eventually pulled him and the bike up I could see why. He was completely drunk and sped off rather wobbily into the night. The bus was delayed and arrived around 2am. Now getting on a bus with everyone covered in blankets, a couple of bags and a very narrow ailse, monk avoidance is virtually impossible. I did however manage it but think I woke those up on the other side. I read somewhere that women must not touch a monk and I had three to avoid!I had always heard of people talking about Chiang Mai but it was a very non-descrip town. It is essentially the gateway for trecking. I funnily bumped into the Frenchies again so shared a few more Changs with them. I have also lost/been pickpocketed of my sunglasses which is my first loss and quite an expensive one! So I thought I would move to Chiang Rai and go treking there instead. Now Chiang Rai seemed to have one agenda and that was: ladies of the night. Nobody would take a lone traveller treking which was really disappointing and to make matters worse I had ended up with my room backing onto the go go bars street. Thanks Lonely Planet for the little number!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home